Sunday, February 13, 2011

Be Mine: A Valentine Tale - Chapter Three

Again, this is a short story, at least I'm trying to make it a short story...but I hope it is very thorough and entertaining.


CHAPTER THREE


Two weeks later, as Faith prepared to close her shop, the sound of the doors bell jingled as she placed her deposit slips in the safe. She looked up and saw Joe walking toward the counter, looking around curiously as if he had been in the store for the first time. She picked up her coat as he stopped in front of the counter, a wide grin on his mouth.

“You’re leaving?” he asked. She just nodded in response. Faith was too surprised at seeing him again to utter a sound. She’d looked for him that first week, then came to terms with maybe he wasn’t interested in seeing a very, very, old classmate. She was sure Joe had better things to do and she had not thought about the fact he might have a family to take care of. Finding her voice, finally, she answered him.

“I’m actually surprised to see you came back.” She laughed. Joe shook his head and waited for her to come from around the counter. She placed on her coat and scarf, then a knitted hat. She looked like a teenager, Joe was hard pressed to believe they were the same age.

“Really, I’m sorry I took so long to then.” He said. “Do you have time to get that coffee?” he asked when they walked out the door and Faith had finished locking up the gate. She turned to look at him, but before she could answer he continued. “Or better yet, how about dinner?” Joe suggested, a bit of hope filling him more than he thought was possible.

Joe had spent the last couple of weeks nervous and going back and forth with when he should come back to the shop. He knew he'd come back for that coffee, he just felt a bit apprehensive all of a sudden and had no idea why. Seeing Faith again, maybe he feared it would become a deeper interest than just friendly curiosity. How could a casual meeting of an old classmate do that? Joe did not know anything about her, including having a family and such. He needed to keep this casual, but blurting out dinner wasn’t what he expected to come out.

“Really?” Faith asked, she was truly surprised now. “Sounds like a plan.”

“Did you drive?” he asked. Faith nodded and they headed toward her car. Joe saw that the parking was not metered and looked at her. “Do you mind leaving it here or do you want to follow me?”

“Oh…well…how about I follow you. After we eat, I can just go home. I don’t want to inconvenience you.” Faith was glad to see him again, but she was still aware he was a stranger. No matter how cute he was becoming as the minutes went by. Joe nodded, understanding, and suggested a popular restaurant that they both knew. She promised to meet him there and watched as he walked back up the block . Faith felt suddenly nervous, but quickly shook off the feeling, telling herself it was just dinner with a old friend, nothing to be excited about. But she was excited, and until the evening was over, she couldn’t feel otherwise.

*****

Joe waited patiently for her in the waiting area of the restaurant. He saw her walking up and held the door for her. Relief filled him that she did come and didn’t go straight home instead.

“I already put a name down on the waiting list.” He told her. “Do you want to get a drink while we wait?” he asked. Faith nodded, and followed him to the bar. After taking off their coats, they both ordered a light drink.

The restaurant was busy, but it was to be expected. Valentine’s day was around the corner and just as the floral shop was busy, the surrounding area shops were also. Faith liked this restaurant. The food was good and nicely priced, but it was the atmosphere that made it a good place for friends or a date. Faith reminded herself, this was not a date.

“So I take it you remembered?” she teased.

“Yes, when you called me “Joey”.” He laughed. Faith opened her mouth and closed it.

“Sorry, I know how much you hated it when we were kids. I figured it would jog your memory, but I didn’t think that much.” She noted, between giggles.

“You were the only one who called me that then.” Joe told her. Faith looked shocked and shook her head.

“Wow, I’m very surprised now.” Their drinks were placed in front of them and they each sipped before continuing.

“But, yes to your question. I do remember now. I asked my mother where my old photo albums from elementary school were and looked through them. You’ve changed….a lot!” he noted.

“Yes, I know. I’m no longer, Fatty Faith.” She muttered, but with humor. Joe smiled in return.

“Well, if they could see you now.” He exclaimed.

“Thank you! They have, and you should see them now!” she laughed. Joe could imagine and they lapsed into light hearted conversation trying to remember the past until their table was ready.

*****

Dinner went by too quickly for Joe's taste. He'd insisted that they ordered dessert, then after dinner coffee, just so he could prolong it a little bit longer. Faith was engaging and they didn't lack for conversation topics. His cellular had been vibrating like crazy from missed meetings with friends. Joe had ignored them all, turning off his phone entirely so that he could concentrate on what was in front of him. Joe watched her quietly as she leaned over to sip her coffee. Her long lashes nearly touching the top of her cheeks. If he thought he was interested in her before, he was really interested now. Faith was funny, open, and wholesome woman. She liked people, socializing, and seemed happy within herself. Flowers did that and she knew her stuff. Joe told her what he did for a living, a CPA, nothing major and working for a firm that kept him busy but otherwise, it gave him the weekend off sometimes so that he could have a social life. It wasn’t what his parents wanted him to be, but it paid the bills and made him comfortable.

“So, how did you know it was me?” Joe asked, curious.

“I wondered myself, but I saw you standing their looking so intent, it reminded me of this boy I used to know. He would be so intent on deciding should he play this or that, should he use this color in art or the other color, should he eat his sandwich first or eat the cookies…” they both were laughing by the time she’d finished. “But, seriously, you haven’t changed too much for me. I remember you because you impressed me.” Joe raised his eyebrows.

“How so?” he asked. "I'm doubting a nine year old could impress anyone!" They both laughed.

“You were always nice to me and…” she stopped embarrassed suddenly. Joe chuckled at how she looked, a small blush appeared on her skin and he grinned. “….I’m so embrassed now.” She laughed.

“Don’t be! I’m curious, really, Faith. Tell me.”

“You asked me to be your Valentine.” She put her fingers on her forehead and shook her head, beginning to laugh at how silly she was being. “Oh goodness, I can’t believe that.” She sipped her coffee and looked at Joe over the rim. His smile seemed to broaden much more and they looked at one another for a moment before he said something.

“I think I remember that.” He nodded. “I feel bad for not remembering you, now.” He stated.

“No, really, it’s more than okay.” She laughed. “I’m a girl, thinking of girly things and I’m sure your life after Mrs. Donovan's was busy.”

“Yes, yes it was. No fun at all.” He wrinkled his face, both finding it funny. They finished their coffee and Joe insisted on paying the bill when he saw Faith was prepared to go dutch. As they walked outside, Joe following her to her vehicle, they both thought the same thing. They didn't want the night to end.

Joe felt they'd gotten to the car too quickly and held the door for her after she opened it. Faith looked up from the drivers seat and smiled.

“Thanks for a wonderful evening, Joseph. I’m glad I spoke up and we had the opportunity to catch up.” Faith expected never to see him again, no matter how much she wanted to see him after this. She just wasn't that confident at the moment.

“Same here, but I hope this isn’t the last time.” He asked, noting the finality of her voice. He was correct in that when he saw how surprised she looked after his statement.

“Oh, of course. Hold on.” Faith pulled out her cellular and looked at Joe expectantly. They exchanged numbers.

“Get home safely, alright?” he told her. Faith smiled and nodded. “Night, Faith. I had a great time too.”

“Goodnight.”

Joe watched her pull off before heading to his own vehicle. He never asked her if she was married, but he highly doubted it. He didn't see an engagement ring and being a “girly girl” as she said, Joe was sure there would be one on it if she was. Maybe she had a boyfriend, though.

“Why do I care!?” he muttered getting in his car. “Damn, really, answer me that….please.” he sighed and knew that he would definitely see Faith again, he just didn’t know in what aspect it would lead to. Joe was sure by the end of the evening that he liked her immensely and wanted to know her better, spend time with her and if he was honest with himself, he wanted to kiss her too.

No comments:

Post a Comment